Clement Clarke Moore’s classic Christmas poem will come to spectacular life from Thanksgiving to New Years on the balconies and facades of Old Sacramento at K Street and Front.
The sixth annual Theatre of Lights is a free holiday program presented by the Old Sacramento Business Association in cooperation with Downtown Sacramento Foundation (DSF), the City of Sacramento and Old Sacramento merchants. The event will return November 26th, 2014.
Narrated by American literary icon Mark Twain, the live-action retelling of Moore’s 1823 poem — “A Visit from St. Nicholas,” more popularly known as “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas” — promises to be bigger and better than ever.
Conceived and created by Stage Nine Entertainment’s Troy Carlson, the Theatre of Lights will bring together some of California’s finest talents in the field of light and sound: Sacramento Theatrical Lighting, Associated Sound and Skywalker Sound, and professional voice actor Bill Farmer, the voice of Disney’s Goofy.
Visitors in Old Sacramento can view the production from the center of K Street as the story is performed from the balconies of the buildings around them.
As Mark Twain, himself a one-time denizen of Sacramento, tells of the calamities — and revelry — that befell the new city in the 1850s, the sounds of the fires, floods and parties will surround the audience as the 150-year-old building facades light up with color.
As he launches into “’Twas the Night Before Christmas,” Twain will note that the first Christmas edition of The Sacramento Bee included a reprint of the poem, and the building across the street from Twain will become a stage for the famous visit from St. Nick.
Theatre of Lights shows will
continue at 6:15 and 7:45 p.m. Nov. 26 through Dec. 31, and there will be holiday performances at 6:15 p.m. on Christmas Eve and 7 and 8:30 p.m. on New Year’s Eve.
The 2013 complete performance schedule was:
- Wednesday, November 27, 6 p.m.
- Friday, November 29, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Saturday, November 30, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Sunday, December 1, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Thursday, December 5, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Friday, December 6, 6:15, 7:45
- Saturday, December 7, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Sunday, December 8, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Thursday, December 12, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Friday, December 13, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Saturday, December 14, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Sunday, December 15, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Thursday, December 19, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Friday, December 20, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Saturday, December 21, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Sunday, December 22, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Monday, December 23, 6:15, 7:45 p.m. (added performances)
- Tuesday, December 24, 6:15 p.m. (Christmas Eve)
- Thursday, December 26, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Friday, December 27, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Saturday, December 28, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Sunday, December 29, 6:15, 7:45 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 31, 7:00, 8:30 p.m. (New Year’s Eve)
As you plan your visit to Old Sacramento be sure to take advantage of our validation program and free* holiday parking.
The 2013 Theatre of Lights couldn’t have been possible without the generosity and support of:
- Associated Sound
- CBS 13 and The CW31
- City of Sacramento
- Downtown Sacramento Foundation
- Downtown Sacramento Partnership
- Macy’s at the Sacramento Downtown Plaza
- Old Sacramento Historical District
- Sacramento Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Sacramento Downtown Plaza
- Sacramento Theatrical Lighting
- Stage Nine Entertainment Store